[Samba] rpcclient setprinter failes

Patrik Carlsson pc at hig.se
Thu Mar 13 12:10:01 GMT 2003

Since I haven't got any answers on this I try again...

We have an Redhat 8.0 machine who acts as an printserver.
I'm sharing printers via Samba and using CUPS.
Samba is 2.2.7a and CUPS 1.1.8.

The Microsoft clients (Win9x, Win NT, Win 2k) is downloading the
driver from the server.

I had no problem to install and upload up to 55 printers but now I am
not able to set the driver.

I can install more printers, but when cupsaddsmb is running
rpcclient -N -U 'user%secret' -c 'setdriver pr51433 pr51433'
I get the "result was NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL" messages.

This is cut out of the debug-log of rcpclient.

000010 smb_io_rpc_hdr_resp rpc_hdr_resp
    0010 alloc_hint: 00000004
    0014 context_id: 0000
    0016 cancel_ct : 00
    0017 reserved  : 00
rpc_api_pipe: len left: 0 smbtrans read: 28
000018 spoolss_io_r_setprinter
    0018 status: WERR_ACCESS_DENIED
SetPrinter call failed!

Before this I get a message about

rpc_api_pipe: len left: 0 smbtrans read: 36
rpc_api_pipe: fragment first and last both set
000018 spoolss_io_r_getprinter
    000018 spoolss_io_buffer
        0018 ptr: 00000000
    001c needed: 00000198
    0020 status: WERR_INSUFFICIENT_BUFFER
000000 spoolss_io_q_getprinter

Could there be a problem that this machine is not an PDC?
And what is the difference between the following command?
rpcclient -U pc%secret localhost -c "enumdrivers"
rpcclient -U pc%secret localhost -c "enumprinters"

Where getting the enumdrivers work, but not the enumprinters...

I would really appreciate some help with this..

/Tia
Patrik

Patrik Carlsson			Högskolan i Gävle
Driftsansvarig, IT-enheten	Kungsbäcksvägen 47
026-64 85 00, 070-329 88 25	801 76 Gävle
Patrik.Carlsson at hig.se