[Samba] Windows XP and plain text password

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Mar 13 04:47:17 GMT 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Kenny Mann wrote:

> I have yet to find samba for QNX with encpryption nor do I have the time
> to port it.
> If perhaps you know of a location (and I have tried google, although
> only for a short search), I would be more than happy to listen however
> that is the only method that I know.
>
> BTW, IF someone enabled plaintextpassword's does that mean that ALL of
> there passwords are plaintext or just any that can't be encrpyted?

Re-enabling plain text password support by the registry change does NOT
disable encrypted password support at all. It just re-enables plain text
based authentication.

MS Windows clients do NOT cache the plain text password, only the
encrypted password. So if you do not enable encrypted passwords on Samba
then when the MS Windows client drops a connection and later tries to
restore the connection, this later re-connect can only send the encrypted
password which will fail if you do not have this enabled in samba. The
result then will be a blue kiss of death screen on the client.

To enable encrypted passwords in samba: In smb.conf [globals] put:
	encrypted password = Yes

Then for each of your users:
	smbpasswd -a 'usern_name'

For some time now samba compiles in encrypted password ability, you just
need to enable it as per above.

- John T.