[Samba] Re: cups printing and user names from trusted domains

Wolfgang Ratzka wolfgang.ratzka at gmx.de
Sun Mar 9 14:39:30 GMT 2003

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> Andrew Bartlett wrote on Samba-Digest:

(...)

> > I've looked into this, and it looks like our CUPS printing is quite
> > broken in this respect.
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > However, when looking at the code in relation to your problem, I noticed
> > that we send completely the wrong username to CUPS.  For both the print
> > job's submission, and later attempts to cancel or pause a job, we send
> > the *original* 'smb_name'.  This is the unqualified username of the user
> > that originally sent the job, before any mapping.
> >
> > The correct thing to send would be the unix name - possibly directly
> > from current_user, but I need to check on this.
>
> Hmmm... I'm not so sure this is what most people would desire.
>
> CUPS logs the names in question, for example in its "page_log" for
> accounting purposes. If we serve Windows clients, and if we now and
> then want to evaluate the page_log and create statistics and reports
> from it -- is it the Unix name or the Windows user name we want to
> appear there?

Well, in my case (using winbind) the Unix name would just be
"<Windows Domain Name>\<Winbind User Name>", which would fit my
purposes quite nicely. I can, however, imagine some setups where
the unix username does not contain any information (e.g. printing
without authentication with unix users generally mapped to "nobody").

Kind regards,
Wolfgang Ratzka