[Samba] XP "logon failure" but still logs on -- no roamingprofile

Brian White bcwhite at precidia.com
Fri Mar 7 15:12:26 GMT 2003

> Are you auth-ing to your Pdc via a routed link? and do you have
> effectively a Bdc on your local lan with a "profile" share enabled?
> This had me stuffed for ages, disable profile share on Bdc "fixed" my
> intermittant xp-pro domain logon problem. hope this helps.
> regards

The two machines are directly connected on an Ethernet subnet.  In fact,
there is nothing on that ethernet segment other than those two machines.
The server has another ethernet that talks with the internet firewall and
another server managing a different workgroup (not domain) of Win98 hosts.
I'll take a look to see if the XP host is trying to contact that other
server at all.  It certainly doesn't have a "profile" share, though.

There is no BDC yet.  My plan is to make each subnet server similar enough
that if one fails I can just move its subnets to other server which would
allow people to work uninterrupted until a replacement can be brought on-line.

-- Brian

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite at precidia.com )