[Samba] smbclient to access limited networks?

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Mar 7 00:12:57 GMT 2003

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Hiro Sugawara wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 14:10:27 -0600
> Sylvestre TABURET <staburet at mandrakesoft.com> wrote:
>

> > use the parameter "interfaces" in smb.conf:
>
> > You also can combine it with "bind interfaces only"
>

> Thank you for the good advice. Yes, it worked!
>
> Now a new question: How does "bind interfaces only" work? Does it accept
> "yes" or "no," or IP addresses? Does it override "hosts allowed"?

Try:

	interfaces = eth0 lo
	bind interfaces only = Yes

You only need hosts allow/deny if there is a risk/possiblity of foreign
machines trying to access you server.

> Actually, I never run smbd and nmbd on this host, so the server side
> protection is unnecessary, but I am curious.

Oh. Well the interfaces/bind thing is meant for Samba servers and I can
not see how you are doing that is you are not running smbd/nmbd. Nice one!

PS: If you are using smbfs, that is NOT samba.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org