[Samba] login as a service to win2k & domain user manager

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Mar 6 20:44:42 GMT 2003

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Jason Norred wrote:

> That is exactly what i'm trying to do. I want to create a network user
> for my antivirus software that can login as a service to apply updates
> to my win2k machines. I can physically go to each machine and adjust the
> "Local Security Policy" to allow a samba "domain user" the ability to
> login to that one specific machine as a service. BUT doing things that
> way on my entire network defeats the purpose of what i'm trying to do.
>
> Any ideas????

There are two different types off policy objects, local and global. The
local objects can only be administered on the client machine. The global
policy objects confer user rights and privilidges that follow the user
from machine to machine. To my knowledge Samba does NOT at this time
support global policy handling. This is being worked on but it is my
understanding that this is still some time off.

If I am correct, then you will either need to be patient until we can
impliment this, or else get involved to make this functionality available.
I do not mean to be offensive in putting it this way.

A lot of people have been asking how they can gain administrative
privilidge on a machine they log onto so that they can install software,
etc. Right now the only way is to configure that ability using local
policies on the machine.

I guess the same applies to granting users the right to log on as a
service (more correctly start up a service with particular user
ownership). I am looking at ta way to do this through the NTConfig.POL
file but have not yet come to a conclusion as to how to affect this.

- John T.