[Samba] Samba, Reiserfs and Large files (25GB)

Carl Gray Carl at Phantasia.net
Thu Mar 6 17:09:34 GMT 2003

Hi All,

We are running SuSE Linux Enterprise Server, Samab 2.2.7a, and sharing a
partition formated to reiserfs 3.6 format.

When we try and copy a large video file (25GB) to a share on the reiserfs
partition from a windows 2000 client I get the error message: "Cannot copy
filename: The specified network name is no longer available"

Then as soon as you click okay the share becomes available again.

I have tried copying the same file to an ext2 and it works fine. And I have
just tried testing 2.2.8 pre2 and get the same results. I have also tried
copying a 16GB file to shares on both ext2 and reiserfs and it works fine.
It just seems there is a cut off somewhere between 16GB and 25GB.

Does anyone know of any reiserfs/samba issues?

Thanks for any help I get,

Carl.