[Samba] Drive mappings disappearing

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Thu Mar 6 01:03:52 GMT 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, William Jojo wrote:

> strange you should mention that....about 1 in every 100+ logins, the
> H: drive disappears from students in the labs. we're using 2.2.7a and
> winxp-sp1.
>
> it without any rhyme or reason. H: is their logon drive, so their profile
> is also written there. funny thing is their profile will get written back
> no problem when they log off...if they log back on, it's there and will
> stay there....
>
> if when it happens you look at net use, it will be gone....if you try to
> net use it back in line, it says the drive is already connected, but my
> computer and explorer proper cannot see it.
>
> this never happens in 2000 with any of our samba servers, so I'm
> attributing it to some strange behaviour of XP...

I dealt with a site that had this with NT4 Workstation. I know it is a
long shot, but we finally traced the problem to poor power stability.
There was a medical lab just down the road from them, if someone logged on
just as the Xray machine was being started the power surge would cause
such a glitch.

PS: This was discovered by monitoring of the power quality. Since they put
every PC on a UPS filtered supply the problem is gone.

- John T.