[Samba] authentication protocols supported by samba

Francois Beretti francois.beretti at enatel.com
Mon Mar 3 16:54:43 GMT 2003

Hello all

I am preparing a document for my chief, about samba and its
functionnalities, in order to use it as a NT4 PDC and then, maybe, a
member server in a Active Directory environnement, and then to develop
security architectures based on samba

He asked me which are the authentication protocols used by Samba
I am new to Microsoft network technologies, so I am quite confused...
He spoke me about SMB, NTLM, NTLMv2, Kerberos
I know that kerberos is supported by Samba 3
What can be said about the 3 others ?
What are the authentication protocols supported by samba, that can be
used by the windows stations ? (so I speak about the station <---> samba
server part of the communication, not about ldap for example)

Very thanks

Francois Beretti