[Samba] NTconfig.pol not used

Pat Schlehuber pat at schlehuber.net
Mon Mar 3 16:27:38 GMT 2003

> 2003-03-02 18:18:01, "Pat Schlehuber" <pat at schlehuber.net> napisa?:
>
> >I am running Samba 2.2.7a on SuSE 8.0 and all Windows/XP clients in a PDC
> configuration.
> >

> >All runs great except for one problem.
> >
> >I cannot get NTconfig.pol to be used. I have placed it in the netlogon
share and
> read/execute permissions are wide open.
> >
> >I turn on samba loglevel=3 and I never see samba even try to look for
NTconfig.pol, or
> any *.pol file. This occurs for all of my clients.
> >

> >Any ideas?
>
> If I remember, it's stored in profile, not netlogon.

NTconfig.POL shold be in the root of the NETLOGON share.

The only tool that can create a usable NTConfig.POL file is the NT Group
Policy Editor. I know that exists under NT4 Server. Not sure how to do
this under Win2K but I will have the answer within a two weeks. Someone is
working on a tool that allows this to be done from Linux/Unix.

Additionally, your MS Windows NT/2K/XP clients must be full domain
members, otherwise the client will not look for the NTConfig.POL file at
all. That is, when you right click on the 'My Computer' icon and select
'Properties, then 'Network ID' it should show that the machine is a member
of your domain, not of a workgroup.

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org

I am a full Domain member, using roaming profiles and the such. I have
placed NTconfig.POL in the netlogon share. Samba never even shows it being
searched for in the logs.

I have the XP version of the policy editor, there is one for NT, 2000 and
XP. This policy has been used in other Samba configurations and works as
expected, this particular samba implementation never uses it for some
reason.

Pat