[Samba] Multiple domains, one PDC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Jun 27 03:02:03 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 06:16, Jay Winks wrote:
> I know this has to be frequently asked, but I haven't found enough info to
> strike out on my own and do it right myself. I'm somewhat rusty in
> regards to Samba. I haven't used the server since 1999 or so. I want
> to use a single server to be PDC for several NT/2000 type domains. Can
> this be done effectively, and, if so, what is the *right* way to
> proceed. Bear in mind that I'm wanting to be fairly ambitious with
> this... I want to try to integrate LDAP/S and even possibly MS
> Exchange without syncing two separate stores of accounts (i.e., a
> SAMBA SAM and an NT SAM). Am I on crack or is it in the realm of
> possibility?

Setting up multiple domains is certainly possible - a chroot() works
best, but you can get away with different prefixes, and different
interfaces to bind to.

As to Exchange, it's unknown to what state we are at with intergration -
it's known that Samba-TNG has had some success, but I've not done
anything on it myself.

You may need to have exchange in it's own domain, trusting Samba's
domains.  Domain trusts will be a feature of Samba 3.0, and being
'trusted' is supported in CVS/beta1 already.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net