[Samba] having a hard time diagnosting my samba server

Mr eric salayon esalayon at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 03:45:07 GMT 2003

guys,

 my workstation cannot see my domain samba server
"TSAR" on the network. also when i tried my win98 to
log into the said domain, it would echo:

  "No domain server was available to validate your
password."

i tried using the DIAGNOSIS.txt to find out what's
wrong. i stop at test # 8, when i issue "net view
\\QCTSAR", it would echo:

  "The computer name specified in the network path
cannot be located."

it suggests to:

 1. fixup the nmbd installation.
    i installed the samba package (samba-2.2.8a-1) via
RPM, how can i fix it up and what to fix?

 2. add the IP address of QCTSAR to the wins server
box.
    i didnt configure a wins server.

 3. enable windows name resolution via DNS in the
advance section of the tcp/ip setup
    already enabled, still no success.
 4. add QCTSAR to your lmhosts file on the PC
    how to do this?

notes:
im using a red hat 7.3 server.

please do help me, im in a brink to loose my job!!!

eric