[Samba] Samba and Symbolic links (Related to PAM_MOUNT )

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jun 24 11:05:51 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 20:03, Ryan McConigley wrote:

> 	Hi all,
>
> 	I am using the pam_mount module to automount a home directory via
> smb.  Works great for some logins.  I can ssh in, it mounts the file system
> automatically, I get access to the files, read and write and everything is
> good.
>
> 	However, when I try to log in at the console via KDE, I get various errors
> asking me to check if various services are running and eventually the login
> fails.
>
> 	It took me a while to discover that the reason it was failing was that the
> system was trying create a symbolic link on the smb mounted file system and
> failing.
>
> 	On the server, I'm enabled the unix extensions, (unix extensions = yes),
> but it appears the client doesn't recognise this.  (Client and server are
> both running Redhat Linux 7.3)

Samba (and CIFS) is not a really good choice for unix->unix
file-sharing.  As you have noted, not all the semantics are preserved
well.

Things might be better with the 'CIFS VFS', a replacement for smbfs in
the 2.5 kernel (and available on samba.org for 2.4).

> 	I'm using the most recent default versions of smbmount from the RPM
> (Version 2.2.7-security-rollup-fix), however I suspect that I may have to
> compile things up, but I can't find anything definate.
>
> 	Do I need a different version of smbmount; a special compile of smbmount
> or something completely different?

If you can use something different - things like 'SFS' www.fs.net or
even NFS, you might have less trouble - but I've not ventured beyond NFS
myself.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org