[Samba] Samba and Symbolic links (Related to PAM_MOUNT )

Ryan McConigley ryan at csse.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 24 10:03:25 GMT 2003

	Hi all,

	I am using the pam_mount module to automount a home directory via
smb.  Works great for some logins.  I can ssh in, it mounts the file system
automatically, I get access to the files, read and write and everything is
good.

	However, when I try to log in at the console via KDE, I get various errors
asking me to check if various services are running and eventually the login
fails.

	It took me a while to discover that the reason it was failing was that the
system was trying create a symbolic link on the smb mounted file system and
failing.

	On the server, I'm enabled the unix extensions, (unix extensions = yes),
but it appears the client doesn't recognise this.  (Client and server are
both running Redhat Linux 7.3)

	I'm using the most recent default versions of smbmount from the RPM
(Version 2.2.7-security-rollup-fix), however I suspect that I may have to
compile things up, but I can't find anything definate.

	Do I need a different version of smbmount; a special compile of smbmount
or something completely different?

	Thanks.

	Incidently, in case it helps those having trouble with pam_mount, my
/etc/pam.d/sshd file looks like -->
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth       optional     /usr/lib/security/pam_mount.so user_first_pass
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so
session    optional     /usr/lib/security/pam_mount.so

	And then in /etc/security/pam_mount.conf I've got the line -->
volume * smb SERVER & /home/& uid=& - -

	"*" and "&" get translated to the username when they log in and "SERVER"
is the name of my smb server which is configured to share out user's home
drives.  Everything else in pam_mount.conf I left at the defaults.

	Like I said, works fine for ssh.  Still trying to get the kde/graphical
login bugs ironed out.

	Cheers,
  		Ryan.

--
           Ryan McConigley - Systems Administrator                  _.-,
      Computer Science   University of Western Australia        .--'  '-._