[Samba] smbpasswd -a failure

Pushpa Bathini pbathini at lsil.com
Wed Jun 18 18:13:35 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am trying to run Samba 2.2.8a in an embedded linux system and
running into problems with smbpasswd.  With both smbd and nmbd
processes running fine ( the log files at log level 3 don't show
errors),
when I try to add a user to the smbpasswd file I get the following
error.

# smbpasswd -a pbathini
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB passwd:
User pbathini does not exist in system passwd file ( usually
/etc/passwd).
Cannot add accounet without a valid local system user.
Failed to modify password entry for user pbathini
#

My /etc/passwd file looks like this.

root::0:0:root:/:/bin/sh
nobody::99:99:Nobody:/:/bin/sh
pbathini::500:500::/cramfs:/bin/sh

Why is smbpasswd unable to find user entry in /etc/passwd file?
Can somebody please help?

Pushpa