[Samba] Re: Full wNT/w2K ACL conformance

Hall, Ken (IDS ECCS) KeHall at exchange.ml.com
Wed Jun 18 17:16:52 GMT 2003

"Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity."

Or in this case, an attempt at compatibility for users who had come from the DEC minicomputer world.

DOS 1.0 took a lot of it's command line conventions from CP/M, which got them from the old DEC stuff.  RT-11, OS-8, etc.  UNIX wasn't really on anyone's radar screen at that point, at least not for
PC's.

There's no logic here, just however someone felt like doing it.  No "usability studies", and design-by-committee in those days.

Can you imagine a review committee letting someone get away with "ls", "cat", and "grep" these days? DIR and TYPE at least made some sense, even if "PIP" didn't. :)