[Samba] domain master name query fail

Johnny Shih awei29 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 13 13:15:57 GMT 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:19:55 +0200, "Vizitiu, Ciprian"
<CVizitiu at gbif.org> said:
> >          preferred master = no
>
> I'd start by questioning about the above line...
>

> WHICH machine did "won" the elections in your net? You do know about the
> process by which the "network neighborhood" gets built don't you?
>
> So is there another W2K/XP server which is supposed to keep the browse
> list?
> From your short message my wild guess is that the master browser did not
> register the <1b> record to WINS because it:
> 1. Didn't knew that it has to (that is it's still broadcast only based,
> that
> is you've never reconfigured it for wins!)
> 2. It didn't knew that it is time to do that. Windows machines do not
> register names to WINS every second... BTW: I'd be a life grateful to
> someone pointing me to a Microsoft tool or method to trigger wins
> registration in a MS box; roughly the equivalent of "service smb
> restart"...
>

> So check who is the master browser in your network and why it doesn't use
> that particular WINS.

Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated.

I have always thought that declaring a machine to be a WINS server will
automatically make it the "browser server" which stores browse lists and
NetBIOS records.  My understanding right now is that they can be
separated.

Assuming I'd also make this machine (using the attached smb.conf), which
is already set up as a WINS server, also a browser server.  How do I
register this "browser server" title to the WINS server (which is itself
as well)?  Or it is not required to be done?  Which ever machine won the
election to be the browser server, rest of clients within the subnet will
know it, including the WINS server that will automicatlly picks it up
(therefore the browser server is registered to the WINS server)?

I will try to add following two lines into my smb.conf.
domain master = yes;
perferred master = yes;

If any more steps are required, I think it's how to register browser
server to the WINS?

Thaks again,
Johnny
--