[Samba] Print Problem - printcap file cups

Ken Sarkies ksarkies at trinity.asn.au
Thu Jun 12 01:11:02 GMT 2003

This might be the problem. I had a similar one somewhat more subtle. I
compiled Samba 3 and found that CUPS didn't compile in, though
requested. It turned out that I had a version of CUPS from a rogue rpm
picked up somewhere last year, that was lacking a configuration script
that Samba uses when compiling CUPS in. I then compiled and installed a
recent version of CUPS that fixed the problem - except that none of the
printers appeared in Windows (or with smbclient -L). Changing to
printcap name=/etc/printcap fixed the problem. Samba wasn't able to find
that file by accessing the CUPS configuration. I then uninstalled the
original rpm (which should have been done first off), and reinstalled
the later CUPS package. All is now well (apparently).

Ken