[Samba] Outlook .pst on a samba share; do or don't?

Vizitiu, Ciprian CVizitiu at gbif.org
Wed Jun 11 14:00:22 GMT 2003

> > I only would like to put into consideration that
> > I corrupted my outlook.pst file and lost a lot of
> > messages while I had outlook open and the client lost
> connection due
> > to service maintenance on the linux server.
>
> Are oplocks turned off?  See chapter 14 of the Samba-3 HOWTO
> collection, "File and Record Locking".  Very good reading.

So to sum it up: Outlook .psts on a samba share are ok as long as you don't
pull the plug (but the electricity company can do that... Not all my WS have
UPSs) so to be on the safe side disable oplocks. From smb.conf man it looks
like it can't be done on a per file basis so I'll have to create a separate
share. Given the sizes (300 to 800MB each, 20 users) will ext3 do or I'll
have to resort to smth more "exotic" like JVS/RieserFS?