[Samba] Samba3.0beta1 as PDC with LDAP

Chee Wai Yeung cheewai_yeung2003 at yahoo.com.hk
Tue Jun 10 05:28:36 GMT 2003

Martin,

something is still a bit unclear. I now attempted to
take away my add-machine-account script (basically a
useradd followed by a passwd -l) which adds a UNIX
account for the machine to the samba server in
addition to smbd's own ldap adding entry to ldap
server, now it does not work:

In the error log I found:

[2003/06/10 13:12:10, 5]
lib/username.c:Get_Pwnam_internals(251)
  Get_Pwnam_internals didn't find user [vaio$]!
[2003/06/10 13:12:10, 2]
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldapsam_search_suffix(685)
  ldapsam_search_suffix: searching
for:[(&(uid=vaio$)(objectclass=sambaSamAccount))]
[2003/06/10 13:12:10, 5]
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldapsam_open(457)
  ldapsam_open: already connected to the LDAP server
[2003/06/10 13:12:10, 2]
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldapsam_search_suffix(685)
  ldapsam_search_suffix: searching for:[(uid=vaio$)]
[2003/06/10 13:12:10, 5]
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldapsam_open(457)
  ldapsam_open: already connected to the LDAP server
[2003/06/10 13:12:10, 3]
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldapsam_add_sam_account(2640)
  Adding new user
[2003/06/10 13:12:10, 2]
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:init_ldap_from_sam(1908)
  Setting entry for user: vaio$
[2003/06/10 13:12:10, 0]
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:init_ldap_from_sam(1922)
  NO user RID specified on account vaio$, cannot
store!
[2003/06/10 13:12:10, 0]
passdb/pdb_ldap.c:ldapsam_add_sam_account(2651)
  ldapsam_add_sam_account: init_ldap_from_sam failed!

If I reuse the add machine script param with my
script, it works (the UNIX account was added, and
smbd's ldap code added the machine's ldap entry to
LDAP server). This is exactly what I don't want to
have.

So apparently ldap does not auto-generate a valid RID
and maps to a valid SID for the addition/joining of
the machine. I'd like to have a setup that does not do
any local UNIX account addition to the samba server,
just have LDAP containing all the user/machine
information.

Can this be done? Pleaes advise.

Chee Wai