[Samba] No umlauts in filenames

Thomas Dietmaier dietmaier at chello.at
Mon Jun 9 18:31:44 GMT 2003

My samba setup cannot handle files whose names contain german umlauts
(äüöß).

The server is samba 2.2.8a-1 on Redhat 8.0 (from the binary RPM from the
samba site), the client is running WinXP Home Edition.

When I create a file whose filename contains umlauts on the samba share
from the WinXP machine, the filename is displayed with question marks
instead of the umlauts by ls on the linux machine, and nautilus appends
"(invalid Unicode)" to the filename when I open the folder.

Files which are created on the linux box with umlauts in their names are
not visible on the XP machine.

the options from my smb.conf are:

character set=iso8859-1
client code page=850

Is there a way to do this without upgrading to a 3.0 beta?

Thanks in advance
Thomas