OT: Mail rules (was: Re: [Samba] Auto-away replies)

David Brodbeck DavidB at mail.interclean.com
Fri Jun 6 15:29:05 GMT 2003

Unfortunately Outlook doesn't offer this capability, as far as I know.

> A bit more considerate vacation program adds the condition:
>
> If I have sent a notice to this sender already, don't reply.

Outlook does this.  Each sender only gets one vacation message.

> Jonathan Johnson wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, many people set their MUA's
> (Outlook/Express) mail rules
> > filter to provide the vacation message, then leave it
> running when they're
> > gone. Others set the rule and close Outlook, then when they
> get back from
> > vacation and download all their messages everyone gets a
> vacation message
> > even thogh they're back.

If you're using Outlook with an Exchange server (which is the only valid
reason I can think of to ever use Outlook), the server sends the response,
not Outlook itself, so closing Outlook doesn't hurt anything.  It's
brain-dead, but not *that* brain-dead. ;)