SUMMARY: [Samba] Samba as PDC with WinXP Clients -> headache!!

Alex King alex at king.net.nz
Thu Jun 5 20:52:21 GMT 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 04:07:38PM +0200, Daniel Zeiss wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> so lets summarize a bit the trouble which is out there with Samba and
> WinXP Pro using Samba as PDC. (Also something for the howto for John :-)

OK, thanks for that, perhaps a document could be created for the docs
dir for the 2.2 series, assuming one won't be needed for 3.0 release.

> Stuff to do on WinXP to use Samba (which I assume we all did):
> ------

I've done the "requiresignorseal"=dword:00000000 of course, it's not
possible to get far without it.  But as for the rest, where did you find
out about it?  Is it collected together in one place somewhere?

> * delete local copies of roaming profiles
> 	Select Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates >
> 	 System > User Profiles
> 	    * Delete cache copies of roaming profiles
>
> or
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
> Edit or add value DeleteRoamingCache as type REG_DWORD. Set it to 1.

I've just had more information from the local administrator, he was
trying to set up a local default user profile, and this was causing (or
part of) the trouble.  I'm going to go onsite in the next few days and
try to get this stuff sorted out once again...

> cool links:
> http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba/

This is good....

> http://www.diariolinux.com/phorum/list.php?f=17
>
> any more ideas?
 I'll let you know when I've had a play...

Alex