[Samba] Joining windows 2003 server with samba 3.0 alpha 2.4

Philippe Dhont (Sea-ro) Philippe.Dhont at searo.be
Thu Jun 5 08:23:29 GMT 2003

Yo, thnx for the support!
I installed samba 3.0 alpha2.4.
Strange enough i could compile it now --with-pam without any problems so
that is done also.
The new net command is cool, i love it!
Finally a tool to sets the time easely also!
So i tried again to join the 2003 domain and this is what i get:

lnx:~# net join -U Administrator
[2003/06/05 10:19:54, 1] utils/net_rpc.c:run_rpc_command(154)
  rpc command function failed! (NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED)
Password:
[2003/06/05 10:19:59, 0]
libsmb/ntlmssp_sign.c:ntlmssp_client_check_packet(182)
  NTLMSSP packet check failed due to invalid signiture!
[2003/06/05 10:19:59, 1] libsmb/cliconnect.c:cli_full_connection(1274)
  failed tcon_X with NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
[2003/06/05 10:19:59, 1] utils/net.c:connect_to_ipc(148)
  Cannot connect to server.  Error was NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

After that i added the linux pc in my win2003 server via the active
directory and gave it all the rights, but the problem stays the same

GreetZ!
Philippe.

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 04:03, Philippe Dhont (Sea-ro) wrote:
> shit, that sucks.
> so, with samba 3.0 it should work ?

Samba 3.0 joins as an active directory member, and therefore avoids some
(but not all) of these painful hoops.

> And what should i do best, using winbind or using samba password sync ?
> this because the linux servers are not on the same location as the
> windows pdc, and if the link between them breaks, can they work
> further with just the samba doing the authentication ?

Winbind authentication is done to the PDC, which must be connected at the
time.  There is a project around to cache this information in PAM, but there
are other issues there (getting the user list etc).

Andrew Bartlett