[Samba] Can you use winbind and be a PDC at the same time?

Glenn Arnold garnold at unrealsolutions.com
Wed Jun 4 16:51:37 GMT 2003

Here is the scenario I would like to integrated samba into my old NT 4.0
domain, but at the same time I would like to create a new Samba Domain
to migrate everybody too eventually.  I have 100 new machines to install
this summer and would like to add them to the new samba domain instead
of the NT 4.0 domain.  The reason I do not want to move everybody at
once to Samba Domain is I have 300 W2K & XP machines that I have to
recreate machine accounts, so I would have to manually go to every
machine to change there domain to the samba domain.  Also, I would like
to test this out for a while to make sure Samba meets our needs.  Which
I pretty confident it will, but I will admit Linux and Samba is not my
strong points, but I am getting better everyday!  Plus, the cautious
approach will allow me to win senior management approval.  Is it
possible use Winbind to make Samba Server a member of NT Domain, but be
Samba PDC for a different domain?  It will probably not work, but I am
not a Samba expert, so I thought I get some input from this list with a
lot more experience;-)

Thanks for your help\
-Glenn