[Samba] POINT TO POINT printer drivers

Mauricio Oliveira Carneiro carneiro at tecgraf.puc-rio.br
Wed Jun 4 02:41:44 GMT 2003

Hi everyone,

	I've just configured EVERYTHING for my printer ( HP PSC 1120 ) to work on
my linux box. And it does perfectly. I've also configured samba, and it
works. I've shared the printer through samba, and still everything is ok.

	But, as the printer is USB only, windows do not have the driver
installation for network printing. That's ok, cause I installed and
configured the PPD file of the printer (from linuxprinting.org) with CUPS,
and it is working fine in linux.

	I read *ALL* (I really mean it) the "Samba 3.0 Printing HOWTO" and
successfuly did the following things :

	-Enabled the print$ dir
	-Installed the printer driver there (with rpcclient adddriver)

	But the LAST command :

	rpcclient localhost -U'root%xxx' -c "setdriver hp1210 hp1210"

	keeps telling me :

		cmd = setdriver hp1210 hp1210
		result was NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

	while the commands :

		cmd = enumdrivers
 		[Windows NT x86]
		Printer Driver Info 1:
		Driver Name: [hp1210]

		cmd = enumprinters
        		flags:[0x800000]
        		name:[\\localhost\hp1210]
        		comment:[HP 1210]

	tell me that the printer is there, and the driver is there.

	I don't know if this has anything to do with permissions, but I've turned
my "/etc/samba/drivers/" dir into something world writable, util I make
this driver works, then I turn it back. (also put : writable = yes under
the smb.conf).

	I'd really appreciate some help here. By the way, I'm using samba 2.2.7a-
8.9.0 , in a Red Hat 9.0

[]s
Mauricio Oliveira Carneiro