[Samba] file size issues/drive 100% full?

Rob Helmer robert at roberthelmer.com
Wed Jun 4 01:32:05 GMT 2003

Hello,

I am supporting a client that uses Samba, they reported the
following issues. I'll be there in person later this week, so
I can get more details, but this is what I know so far.

Maybe someone else has run into some/all of these problems? If
so I'd really appreciate any clues :)

Server is Mandrake Linux release 9.0, kernel 2.4.19-16mdk.
Samba version is 2.2.6pre2.
Clients are using Dave on Mac OS X, Windows 2000 and XP. They
report the same problems on any client platform.

Issues:

* the server's drive always appears 100% full
* individual file sizes reported incorrectly (e.g. 1GB instead of 1MB)

Not sure if it's related, but I noticed *alot* of locked files from
a Mac OS X/Dave user (hundreds), which didn't go away when Samba
was restarted (had to "kill -9" the user's smbd process).

It was the end of the day by the time I got notice of the problems,
and I was connecting from remote so unfortunately I don't have any
more details.

Any pointers would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Rob