AW: [Samba] samba installation

Thomas Wild at aDog tw at adog.de
Sun Jun 1 21:26:22 GMT 2003

Hi again,

A.A wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>  As i wrote that's still the old Version:
> /usr/local/samba-2.2.8a/bin/smbstatus --> samba version 2.2.7a-SUSE
> When i type "Which smbstatus" i get /usr/bin /smbstatus

this looks like a standard installation of SuSE.

> I dont know what you mean with  :
> For startup the samba processes you should change your Startscript in
> "/etc/init.d/samba" where the other version is still started.
>
> Sorry,what should i do with /init.d/samba    ?

under /etc/init.d are all system startscripts on SuSE Distributions. So
change the path of the both daemons smbd and nmbd. At the moment there
are pathes like

/usr/sbin/smbd
/usr/sbin/nmbd

you should change it into

/usr/local/samba-2.2.8a/bin/smbd
/usr/local/samba-2.2.8a/bin/nmbd

and all other processes in that startscript - winbind is daemon which is
started, too. I attachted my samba startscript for you.
I changed the PATH variable which has the same effect.

- Thomas

PATH=/usr/local/samba-2.2.8a/sbin:$PATH
export PATH

# The echo return value for success (defined in /etc/rc.config).
return=$rc_done
case "$1" in
     start)
         echo -n "Starting SMB services..."
         nmbd -D
         smbd -D
         winbindd
         echo -e "$return"
         ;;
     stop)
         echo -n "Shutting down SMB services."
         killproc -TERM winbindd
         killproc -TERM nmbd
         killproc -TERM smbd
         sleep 2
         killproc -TERM nmbd
         echo -e "$return"
         ;;
     *)
         echo "Usage: $0 {start|stop}"
         exit 1
esac

# Inform the caller not only verbosely and set an exit status.
test "$return" = "$rc_done" || exit 1
exit 0