[Samba] samba pdc/roving profiles/encrypted passwords

Tom McKellips tom at cpty.net
Sun Jun 1 14:07:43 GMT 2003

I've read that one and it is good. I also have come across another I believe
is worth reading also. When I read how-to it helps to get different views
from diffrent ones. But take a look at
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/connect/csamba6.html It is also a very well
written doc.

On Fri, 30 May 2003 22:34:37 +0000 (GMT), John H Terpstra wrote
> On Fri, 30 May 2003, dan kador wrote:
>
> > It is my understanding that roving profiles cannot be implemented
> > without using encrypted passwords.  It is also my understanding that
> > encrypted passwords cannot be implemented without pointing smb.conf to a
> > windows password server.
>
> Where did you get that understanding? It is not correct.
>
> 1) You do not need encrypted passwords for roaming profile support
> on MS Windows 9x/Me (so long as plain text passwords support is enabled.
>
> 2) Roaming profiles with MS Windows NT/200x/XP generally involves domain
> logon support and that requires domain membership. Domain
> membership requires encrypted passwords.
>
> 3) Samba does it's own encrypted password support
>
> Suggest you read:
>
> http://samba.org/~jht/NT4migration/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
>
> >  I'm trying to set up a samba server on a Linux (RedHat 7.3) to act as a
> > PDC and a provider for roving profiles - when I do things with cleartext
> > (encryption off), I can connect to drives and such fine from Windows
> > 2000 using the typical "net use \\server\share /user:myuser".  However,
> > when I connect to the domain, it will not automatically load my profile.
> > I'm thinking it's because of the password encryption, but perhaps I'm
> > wrong.
>
> You need to get the Windows  client to join the domain. That does require
> MS encrypted passwords support.
>

> > If anybody can help, I'd be very appreciative!  Thanks so much.
>
> Oh? No worries.
>
> - John T.
> --
> John H Terpstra
> Email: jht at samba.org
> --

Internet Service Provided By Abyss Communications
Internet Service only $10 a month
1-866-842-2977