[Samba] Samba over the Internet...

Jonathan Villa jvilla at isdesigndev.com
Thu Jul 31 02:53:47 GMT 2003

Is it possible to allow login into one of my machines over the internet.
I currently have Samba running as PDC and from my house, I can access
the computer just fine when I'm using WinXP.  There are no problems with
that, when I'm at home, the specific directory I want is mapped to a
drive letter.  However I would like to be able to do the same from work.
Is this possible?  In other words, I would like be able to access a
specific directory remotely and map it.

I've searched the google for "Samba over the Internet" and have found
that it is possible, but not how to do it.

When mapping I try

\\xxx.xxx.xx.xxx\homeDir <file:///\\xxx.xxx.xx.xxx\homeDir>
\\xxx.xxx.xx.xxx\sharedDir <file:///\\xxx.xxx.xx.xxx\sharedDir>

and both of them prompt me for username and password.  It asks for

username: \\xxx.xxx.xx.xxx\username <file:///\\xxx.xxx.xx.xxx\username>
password:

any ideas experience with this?