[Samba] Re: Mdk 9.1, samba-LDAP 2.2.8a/3.0b3 (LDAP) can't print to z53

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Wed Jul 30 14:32:11 GMT 2003

>Yup.  Also spotted him on the list anyway.  Got some
>leads from him but most of them are for 3.0 (which
>I'll need later).

Don't be confused by "3.0" in the name of the document.
99% perhaps even 100% of the printing related
information is not version dependent. Version 3.0 is
better for printing because the resolution of bug #82
was checked into 3.0 branch and not in 2.2.8 branch
because they probably don't want to maintain that
branch so actively now that 3.0 is out. The team is
spread a little too thin.

>Also check this out:
>
>[root at enigma printers]# pwd
>/var/lib/samba/printers
>[root at enigma printers]# ls -l
>total 3
>drwxrwxr-x 2 root adm    48 Mar 16 06:50 W32ALPHA/
>drwxrwxr-x 2 root adm    48 Mar 16 06:50 W32MIPS/
>drwxrwxr-x 2 root adm    48 Mar 16 06:50 W32PPC/
>drwxrwxr-x 2 root adm    48 Mar 16 06:50 W32X86/
>drwxrwxr-x 2 root adm    48 Mar 16 06:50 WIN40/
>[root at enigma printers]#
>
>According to reasearch, this is where I think the
>printer drivers are supposed to wind up and
>apparently they are not even after adding
>Administrator to the adm group. W32X86 is the most
>likely target since that is where they are on the XP
>client.   I'm going to run some more tests on this
>(after I get some Z's) to be sure.

This is a directory which is created by a template in
samba.spec, not necessarily the directory in which
samba will look for it, which is ruled by an option
to configure command IIRC and is usually "drivers"
directory. I resolved the ambiguity have one name
linked to the other.