[Samba] Re: samba 3 on production server

Failed Access mdonovan at edwtech.com
Tue Jul 29 14:11:28 GMT 2003

Beast wrote:
> Tuesday, July 29, 2003, 6:32:02 PM, Vincent wrote:
>

>>>Does anybody here using samba 3 (b3) on production server (with at least
>>
>>500
>>
>>>client)?
>>>

>>>--beast
>

>>I tried, but had too issues joining domain (beta2), and with logging via
>>lanmanager.
>

>>However from samba.org :
>

>>"While significantly closer to the final release, it should still be
>>considered a non-production release provided for testing purposes only."
>

> I'm planning fresh migration from WNT 4.0 network to Samba3 (with
> close to 1k clients). What I really want from samba3 was it able to
> replace NT4 domain without needing to go to each client and re-join to
> the domain again.
> Is this possible with samba 2.2?
> Also I note that support for ldap was verygood on samba3, any advice?
> Tks.
>

> --beast

 From what I can see it's defenetly not possible with samba 2.2 however
its ohhhhhh so close with 3.0 b3 (as my post said) domain users and
groups have moved happily and almost effortlessly, however I have hit an
empass with the machine$ accounts and until we can transfer those I
would say a move from NT to Samba on large domains isn't a real
possibility becouse going through several hundred machines to get the
machine trust accounts is just a wee bit to much effort... (luckily our
domain here is ittle)

Matt D.