[Samba] no charset ver. 3.0.0beta3 on solaris

Paul Coray paul.coray at spamblock.unibas.ch
Tue Jul 29 12:28:42 GMT 2003

Hi all

This question came up several times in this list in the last couple of
weeks, but nobody seems to have found a solution... so I post this
again, hoping that anybody out there has the answer.

I compiled Samba 3.0.0beta3 on Solaris 9 with the following options:

--with-winbind --with-acl-support --with-included-popt --with-pam

Starting the daemon or doing testparm gives me always:

Error loading module '/usr/local/samba/lib/charset/.so': ld.so.1:
testparm: fatal: /usr/local/samba/lib/charset/646.so: open failed: No
such file or directory

or:

Error loading module '/usr/local/samba/lib/charset/ISO8859.so': ld.so.1:
testparm: fatal: /usr/local/samba/lib/charset/ISO8859-1.so: open failed:
No such file or directory

The /usr/local/samba/lib/charset directory is empty. Then I added the
path to my GNU iconv libraries for configure : --with-libiconv=/opt/csw,
but still no success...

I use gcc 3.3. I tried gmake as well as Solaris make in /usr/ccs/bin.

Here is a list of installed iconv and locale packages on the compiling
system (Sun Blade 150 Sparc):

(ub-blade1):~ # pkginfo | grep iconv
system      CSWiconv                         libiconv - GNU iconv library
ALE         SUNWciu8                         Simplified Chinese (EUC)
iconv modules for UTF-8
ALE         SUNWciu8x                        Simplified Chinese (EUC)
iconv modules for UTF-8 (64-bit)
ALE         SUNWhiu8                         Traditional Chinese iconv
modules for UTF-8
ALE         SUNWhiu8x                        Traditional Chinese (EUC)
iconv modules for UTF-8 (64-bit)
system      SUNWiniu8                        Indic UTF-8 iconv modules
for UTF-8
system      SUNWiniu8x                       Indic UTF-8 iconv modules
for UTF-8 (64-bit)
system      SUNWislcx                        64-bit iconv conversion for
Eastern European locales
system      SUNWisolx                        64-bit iconv conversion for
ISO Latin character sets
system      SUNWjiu8                         Japanese iconv modules for
UTF-8
system      SUNWjiu8x                        Japanese iconv modules for
UTF-8 (64-bit)
ALE         SUNWkiu8                         Korean UTF-8 iconv modules
for UTF-8
ALE         SUNWkiu8x                        Korean (UTF-8) iconv
modules for UTF-8 (64-bit)
system      SUNWtiu8                         Thai UTF-8 iconv modules
for UTF-8
system      SUNWtiu8x                        Thai UTF-8 iconv modules
for UTF-8 (64-bit)
(ub-blade1):~ # pkginfo | grep locale
system      SUNWctlu                         Print utilities for CTL locales
system      SUNWislcc                        XSH4 conversion for Eastern
European locales
system      SUNWislcx                        64-bit iconv conversion for
Eastern European locales
system      SUNWplowr                        Root pkg partial locales.

Remove 'spamblock.' from the reply address.

Thanks in advance for any hint

Paul