[Samba] Mdk 9.1, samba-LDAP 2.2.8a/3.0b3 (LDAP) can't print toz53

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Tue Jul 29 11:08:50 GMT 2003

>On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Jim C wrote:
>
>> I've not been able to get Samba to print to a
>> Lexmark Z53. If I call it a Z52, the driver uploads
>> (to where, I have no idea so I can't check it) but
>> I still can't get anything out of the printer.

>You seem to be going through a big pain barrier!
>
>You have CUPS installed? If so, then why are you
>doing things the hard way?

He seems to be doing it with cups, John.

>With CUPS the easiest installation is to install the
>printer in CUPS. The Z53 is fully supported in SuSE
>8.1 and upwards.
>
>Then install only the Adobe postscript drivers for
>all your clients. CUPS will do all the conversion
>needed. You Windows clients do not need to talk to
>the printer

Yes, that's an easy setup, that is fully described
up front by Kurt. But there is small print further
down that most people don't read about configuring
the default printer settings which are not
automagically establisched by cupsaddsmb, so you
need to do it manually.

>and you cut loose from that aweful Lexmark driver.

I beg to differ, John. Lexmark drivers and support
files contain pleasantly arranged and easy to use
parametrization of a print job. The Adobe substitute
offers exactly the same functionality in a drab java
applet. My users went on a 1 week sulk, when I
installed Adobe general driver because of problems in
rpcclient 2.2.8a. They only lightened up after I
debugged the code with Kurt's help.