[Samba] Point'n'Print works for NT4 but not for XP? (Was: "Point'n'Print" setup problems (2.2.8a & XP sp1))

Steve Salvini salvini at macs.hw.ac.uk
Mon Jul 28 15:44:57 GMT 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:24:13 +0100 (GMT Daylight Time) Steve Salvini
<salvini at macs.hw.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi - Last week I mailed the list saying I was having trouble getting
> "Point'n'Print" to work for XP clients.
>
> Today, as an experiment, I installed NT4 on a spare machine and
> "point'n'print" works fine for it.    This suggest that the problem is
> specific to XP (although I haven't tried a W2k machine).
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"specific to XP"?   Well, not quite.  In fact, that should have read
"specific to *my configuration of* XP"...

At present we have rely on Hummingbird's "NFS Maestro/Solo" to access
Unix drives - the reason I am experimenting with Samba is to reduce our
exposure to this package.  Of course, NFS Maestro has it's own printer
services.

By moving "LANMAN Print Services" so it comes before "HCLNFS Print
Services" in HKLM/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Print/Providers
everything works as per the docs.

Sorry for any confusion caused :-(