[Samba] SMBPASSWD to Authenticate Unix Logins

Corey Hart chart at acad.stedwards.edu
Fri Jul 25 20:04:33 GMT 2003

Well I figured it out for myself:  First thing you want to do is remove excute permissions from
authconfig.  The next thing you want to do is modify /etc/pam.d/system-auth to look like this:

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so nodelay
#auth        sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

password    required      /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3 type=
password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so debug nullok use_authok
#password    sufficient    /lib/security/pam_unix.so nullok use_authtok md5 sha
dow
password    required      /lib/security/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/pam_limits.so
#session     required      /lib/security/pam_unix.so

What I have done here is removed testing the password against pam_unix or better know as
/etc/passwd.

This is ment for people who want to allow logins onto the unix server and have their passwords
verified by smbpasswd instead of the local /etc/password.