[Samba] Samba 2.2.7 and 3.0.0b3 slow transfers with Win2k and WinXP

Joe Cooper joe at swelltech.com
Fri Jul 25 08:10:16 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I'm thoroughly stumped.  I have a network of Windows 2k and Windows XP
Professional machines working off of Samba served home directories.
Everything works.  Sign-ons are relatively quick, no odd errors in the
samba logs or on the Windows boxes, and all the configuration seems to
work fine wrt all functions.  Name lookups via nmblookup or nbtstat work
fine (though it looks like only broadcast lookups are working for the
Windows machines, even though I have nmb running--I'm probably missing
something there).

However...The samba shared directories are horribly slow on the Windows
machines.  They run at about a 1/6th the rate of locally mounted
directories or NFS mounts from the same server.  Not only that, but a
Linux box can mount the samba share and access it at about the same
speed as NFS or a local FS.  In short, everything is fine except all of
the Windows machines take ages to do anything.  Though there is nothing
in the logs, the CPU is pretty high (~50% for one client) when copying
large files, or building software.

Worth noting...I've tried with and without 'socket options'.  And the
behavior is seemingly identical on both 2.2.7 and 3.0.0b3 versions.

This has been plaguing me for months...Anyone have a clue?

My [global] section:

[global]
         printing = lprng
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
         unix password sync = Yes
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd
         workgroup = WORKGROUP
         server string = Samba Server
         socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
         netbios name = SERVER
         log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
         wins support = true
         dns proxy = no