[Samba] I've always HATED printing with Samba

Joel Hammer Joel at hammershome.com
Fri Jul 25 10:31:46 GMT 2003

Is is established yet if your setup is using the lexmark supplied software
or cups drivers? It may not really matter. If the printer is working
fine locally, then it seems to be a problem with samba. What you have to
do is figure out which queue is accepting jobs on your server, locally,
then set up your samba share to direct jobs to that queue.

You might look at /var/spool/lpd. The print queues usually hang out there.
Look for a print queue which is controlling your printer, and use that
in your samba share.

Your system seems to be generating its printcap file dynamically. This
sounds like something with which I contended when I used RH at one
time. This is one of the many advances in linux which just makes it
harder to fix problems. I didn't get any results with network printing
until I disabled that automatic generation of the printcap. There is
some sort of printing frontend which does this. I would get rid of it and
set up a regular printcap file, or else try to edit the configuration file
this printing frontend is using.

Joel