[Samba] where Samba stores the SID when acting as PDC?

Fermín Galán fermin.galan at agora-2000.com
Fri Jul 25 10:00:19 GMT 2003

Hello everyone.

As far I know, all Microsoft domain are identified with
a SID. It is used for authorization, for example in the file
ACLs of the users' files. Before using it, this SID is generated
at random. This SID resides in the PDC,

When Samba is acting as PDC, where lives this SID?
(I suppose that in a file).

I'm asking this because I'm thinking in a backup
procedure for my Samba server and I would like
to backup the SID. If I wouldn't do so, the just
installed Samba will generate a different SID at
random, so there would be problems with the files
with the old SID in the ACLs.

Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.