[Samba] Changing IP address in LInux does not change IP address for WINS registration

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Fri Jul 25 05:24:23 GMT 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 Eddy.Steenbergen at dpiwe.tas.gov.au wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have my samba server (redhat) configured to use an external wins server.
> Each time samba starts up, it registers its netbios name with the wins
> server. So far so good.
>
> Then we wanted to deploy the samba box to a new location and new IP
> address. We changed the ip address in Linux in /etc/hosts,
> /etc/sysconfig/network & /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.
>
> When samba restarts it still registers with wins with the original ip
> address. Running nmblookup 'servername' also shows old IP address.

Stop samba. Delete the browse.dat and wins.dat files, then restart samba.

If WINS is on another machine then you will need to do likewise on that
box.

> Why? and how can I fix it?
>
> Is the IP address built into the samba installation?

No, but the IP addresses are stored in the browse.dat file. If you are
running WINS then it also stores the IP address of machines on your
network.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra