[Samba] MYOB and Samba- the proverbial...

Marian Mlcoch, Ing mm at tsmp.sk
Thu Jul 24 07:34:35 GMT 2003

Hi your mistake is that oplock is share parameter not global...
And best is use veto oplock files share parameter try read manual...

oplocks (S)
This boolean option tells smbd whether to issue oplocks (opportunistic
locks) to file open requests on this share. The oplock code can dramatically
(approx. 30% or more) improve the speed of access to files on Samba servers.
It allows the clients to aggressively cache files locally and you may want
to disable this option for unreliable network environments (it is turned on
by default in Windows NT Servers). For more information see the file
Speed.txt in the Samba docs/ directory.

Oplocks may be selectively turned off on certain files with a share. See the
veto oplock files parameter. On some systems oplocks are recognized by the
underlying operating system. This allows data synchronization between all
access to oplocked files, whether it be via Samba or NFS or a local UNIX
process. See the kernel oplocks parameter for details.

See also the kernel oplocks and level2 oplocks parameters.

Default: oplocks = yes

First
remove oplocks and kernel oplocks from your global conf and second try
determine what file generates problem and on share with this use

veto oplock files (S)
This parameter is only valid when the oplocks parameter is turned on for a
share. It allows the Samba administrator to selectively turn off the
granting of oplocks on selected files that match a wildcarded list, similar
to the wildcarded list used in the veto files parameter.

Default: No files are vetoed for oplock grants

You might want to do this on files that you know will be heavily contended
for by clients. A good example of this is in the NetBench SMB benchmark
program, which causes heavy client contention for files ending in .SEM. To
cause Samba not to grant oplocks on these files you would use the line
(either in the [global] section or in the section for the particular
NetBench share :

Example: veto oplock files = /*.SEM/

Or full oplocks = no on share no global.

Bye.