[Samba] Win2K sp4 can't print

Van Sickler, Jim vansickj-eodc at kaman.com
Thu Jul 24 02:32:32 GMT 2003

Bob,

  I've upgraded several systems here to SP4,
and haven't run into any of these errors (yet!).

However...

  Spoolss was updated in SP4;  I'd try deleting
the printers & their ports on the SP4 PCs, then
adding them again.  If you toggled or added the
"disable spoolss = yes" setting, or upgraded
to 2.2.8a after the ports on the win2k PCs
were created, it may cause the "Access Denied" error.

  Are you setting the printers up as Network or
Local on the PCs?  It makes a difference.  Local gave
me fewer problems.  Use  \\server\printshare as the
port name.

  The lpc commands don't look quite right -
mine are from lprng, but the syntax is pretty
much the same:

        lpq command = /usr/local/bin/lpstat %p
        lprm command = /usr/local/bin/lprm -P%p %j
        lppause command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc hold %p %j
        lpresume command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc release %p %j
        queuepause command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc stop %p
        queueresume command = /usr/local/sbin/lpc start %p

  To be honest, I've pretty much given up on printing in
Samba 2.x, and gone over to Standard TCP/IP Ports, printing
to the lprng daemon on the Samba server.  I posted a whole
bunch of times trying to get a way to enumerate the correct
print job info on the clients, instead of the smbprn.xxx.xxx
that is usually available.  I never got a solution...

  Printing through lprng has given me two big benefits:
my Lanier 2138 no longer goes off into la-la land
(don't get me started on Ricoh's COMPLETELY CRAPPY job
of de-bugging their firmware), and the correct info is displayed
for the printer queues.

Hope this helps,
Jim