[Samba] Problems compiling samba-3.0.0beta3 on Solaris 8 with ldap

Marlys Nelson Marlys.A.Nelson at uwrf.edu
Wed Jul 23 19:49:07 GMT 2003

I'm really desperate for some quick help in getting the samba-3.0.0beta3 
compiled with ldap on Solaris 8.  I'm working from the tarball and I'm trying 
to use this configure command:

./configure --prefix=/opt/samba --disable-xmltest --disable-mysqltest 
--with-privatedir=/var/opt/samba --with-lockdir=/var/lock/samba 
--with-piddir=/var/run --with-configdir=/etc/opt/samba 
--with-logfilebase=/var/log/samba --with-ads=no --with-krb5=no --with-ldap=yes 
--with-ldapsam=no --with-syslog --with-quotas --without-utmp 
--with-acl-support LDFLAGS=-L/opt/lib CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/include

The Solaris 8 server itself authenticates users to LDAP using the nss_ldap and 
pam_ldap modules from PADL. These have been compiled against OpenLDAP 2.0.25 
libraries.  All this works quite well and has been for a couple of months.

The openldap and ssl libraries (needed by openldap) are in /opt/lib (symlinks 
to /opt/openldap/lib and /opt/openssl/lib). The include files are in 
/opt/include.  I'm using gcc 3.3.

I'm basing my determination that the compile isn't working because in the 
configure output it says:

checking how to build pdb_ldap... not

and I end up with nothing in /opt/samba/lib/pdb.

I found a reference in the samba bugzilla (bug# 125) which sounds like my 
problem but I tried the suggestions/patches there and it still failed.  That 
involved patching configure.in, afterwhich I ran autogen.sh (correct?  this 
part is kinda a black box to me) and tried configure again.  Same results.

The config log shows this:

configure:24973: checking whether to use LDAP
configure:24987: result: yes
configure:24998: checking for ber_scanf in -llber
configure:25029: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -I/opt/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE 
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -L/opt/lib conftest.c -llber   >&5
Undefined                       first referenced
  symbol                             in file
shutdown                            /opt/lib/liblber.so
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:25032: $? = 1
configure:25050: result: no

I really think my problem sounds like bug# 125 - needing the -lresolv 
libraries since if I try a test c program, I do need to include -lresolv 
otherwise I get the above error. And, I'd guess once that fails, nothing else 
will work since it doesn't know to include -llber or -lresolv.

I tried the latest configure.in in the cvs source but I got autogen.sh errors 
so gave up quickly on that as well.

Marlys A. Nelson                      Sr. Network Specialist
Information Technology Services       Network Services
University of Wisconsin - River Falls 715/425-4357
410 South Third Street                Email: Marlys.A.Nelson at uwrf.edu
River Falls  WI  54022                http://www.uwrf.edu/

More information about the samba mailing list