[Samba] Samba 3B3 with LDAP

William234 at aol.com William234 at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 19:00:54 GMT 2003

Hello,

I have compiled Samba 3.0 Beta 3 and am attempting to get it to work with
LDAPSAM.

Whenever I run smbpasswd or pdbedit, I get the following output.

       sparc10:/etc/openldap# /usr/local/samba/bin/smbpasswd -a bill
       New SMB password:
       Retype new SMB password:
       failed to add user dn= uid=bill,ou=People with: Server is unwilling to
perform
                referral missing
       failed to modify/add user with uid = bill (dn = uid=bill,ou=People)
       Failed to add entry for user bill.
       Failed to modify password entry for user bill

To try to figure out what is causing this problem I have grep'd through the
source code looking for the error messages above, searched deja.com, and looked
through the archives of this list.  I cannot find anything anywhere that
makes a reference to "referral missing" and as such have no idea where to go to
debug the problem.

Using DaveDAP, a PHP LDAP display / editing environment I am able to browse
the 4 entries in the LDAP server which are the initial entries needed to make
Samba work.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  I am at a complete loss.

Bill Miller
William234 at aol.com