[Samba] Groups not mapping correctly.

George Farris farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Tue Jul 22 16:47:01 GMT 2003

Hello,

At one time I installed an alpha of samba-3.0 and it had a smbgroupedit
command that mapped unix and windows groups via webmin.  This seems to
be missing in beta3, has it been depreciated?

Also I can't seem to get the group map to take effect unless the unix
group is the users primary group.  Either that or I don't understand
something.

I do not have winbindd running or any idmap settings in my smb.conf file
as everything is local, I assume this is correct?

If I use "net groupmap" and map dadmin for example to "Domain Admins"
and set dadmin to the primary group of a user everything works fine.
If, however, I map "user" to "Users" and "pwruser" to "Power Users", set
"user" to be the primary group and also have the user be a secondary
member of pwruser, things don't work.  The user never becomes a "Power
User".

I've installed samba on RH7.3 from a binary on the samba site.

Can someone please explain the function and flow of the group mapping,
much appreciated.

George Farris  farrisg at mala.bc.ca
Computer Support Cowichan.