[Samba] SAMBA, NIS and NFS

Herb Lewis herb at sgi.com
Mon Jul 21 23:56:47 GMT 2003

Your problem is that you have encrypt passwords = no. You will either
need to apply a registry update to enable plaintext passwords on all the
windows machines or enable encrypted passwords (and create the passwords
in the smbpasswd file). You may run into problems with locking on nfs
mounted directories if you try to access files from the unix machines
and the windows machines at the same time.

Lance Rathbone wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Some background first
>
> I have been asked to set up an environment involving three machines
>
> 1. A windows 2000 client
> 2. A Solaris 8 E450 / NIS client
> 3. An SGI IRIX fileserver/ NIS server holding user home directories
>

> The E450 NFS mounts the SGI and users have their home directories on the
> SGI. When users want to test their application software they ssh from
> their windows client into the Solaris machine and use their files in
> their home directory on the SGI.  Authentication is managed by NIS. That
> all works fine.
>
> The icing on the cake is that users also want to see their home
> directories from their windows machine as a share...enter SAMBA
>
> I installed SAMBA on the Solaris E450. (because I have complete control
> on the Solaris machine but I can only make requests regarding the SGI)
>

> Now the problem: When I try to mount the share in windows from the
> command prompt using: "net use h: \\mar-pepe\lrathbone", I get the error :
> System error 1240 has occurred.
> The account is not authorized to log in from this station.
>
> When I try to log in from any UNIX box (Solaris/Linux) using: "smbclient
> //mar-pepe/lrathbone -U lrathbone" ,I have no problem getting in.
>
> I was wondering if anyone could spot the problem with my configuration?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Lance Rathbone
>
> My smb.conf looks like this:
>

> [global]
> workgroup = IMB
> netbios name = mar-pepe
> server string = Bioinformatics Samba Server
> ;hosts allow = 130.102.116. 130.102.117. 130.102.118. 130.102.119.
>
> log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
> log level = 2
> max log size = 50
> security = user
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY
>
> # Network Browsing
> #
> ; local master = no
> ; os level = 20
> ; domain master = yes
> ; preferred master = yes
> #
> # WINS & Name Resolution
> ; wins support = yes
> wins server = if-directory.imb.uq.edu.au
>
> # Passwords & Authentication
> password level = 8
> encrypt passwords = no
> ; unix password sync = yes
> ; passwd chat = <custom chat string>
> ; pam password change = yes
> #
> # Domain Control
> ;   domain logons = yes
> ; logon script = %m.bat
> # run a specific logon batch file per username
> ; logon script = %U.bat
> ; logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
>
> # only used when acting as a DC for WinNT/2k/XP.  Ignored by Win9x clients
> ; logon home = \\%L\%U
> # What drive should the "logon home" be mounted at upon login ?
> logon drive = y:

> [...]

Herb Lewis                               Silicon Graphics
Networking Engineer                      1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy MS-510
Strategic Software Organization          Mountain View, CA  94043-1351
herb at sgi.com                             Tel: 650-933-2177
http://www.sgi.com                       Fax: 650-932-2177
PGP Key: 0x8408D65D