[Samba] I've always HATED printing with Samba

Jim C jcllings at tsunamicomm.net
Mon Jul 21 22:01:54 GMT 2003

Primarily because I've never gotten it to work despite frequent efforts.

Offeding printer is a Lexmark Z53 (supposedly fully supported) and when
ever I try to add it to an XP box I get "Server doesn't have the right
driver, do you wish to upload the driver?"  then when I do it says
"Cannot connect to the printer.  Contact your network administrator
yatta yatta yatta."

Relevant testparm output on the remote chance someone wants to help:

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s -r # using cups own drivers
(use generic PostScript on clients).
        lpq command = lpq -P %p
        lprm command = cancel %p-%j
        browseable = No

[print$]
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers
        write list = @adm root

[pdf-generator]
        comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
        path = /var/tmp
        printable = Yes
        print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf %s ~%u