[Samba] Samba disappears when bridging

James Goldwater james at eccehomo.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 20:26:33 GMT 2003

I've had a working samba setup on debian testing, viewing shares from my
winxp box, for quite a while. I've just set up another box as a wireless
access point, and am bridging the wireless and wired networks.  When
connecting via wireless (i.e. through the bridge) I'm unable to get any
samba connectivity.  I can ping, ssh, use imap etc fine through the
wireless, but not samba.

Here's the output from nbtstat -A 192.168.0.64  (my samba box, called
"debian") (after refreshing the cache):

Wireless Network Connection:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.0.66] Scope Id: []
           NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table
       Name               Type         Status
    DEBIAN         <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    DEBIAN         <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    DEBIAN         <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ..__MSBROWSE__.<01>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered

    MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

Someone on the debian-user list suggested setting up my samba box as a
wins server, which I did (added wins support = yes): here's my smb.conf
file:

# Do something sensible when Samba crashes: mail the admin a backtrace
        workgroup = WORKGROUP
        encrypt passwords = true
   passdb backend = smbpasswd guest

   wins support = yes
[homes]
        browsable = no
        writable = yes

[downloads]
        comment = Download area
        path = /home/downloads
        browsable = yes
        writable = yes
        valid users = james

When I reconnect via the wired interface on my xp box (I'm trying to
migrate to wireless!) , everything works.  I've got the same IP on the
winxp box when both wired and wireless.

Can anyone help me?  Thanks very much in advance

James
.