[Samba] authenticate from /etc/passwd

kenneth.westelinck at tiscali.be kenneth.westelinck at tiscali.be
Thu Jul 17 14:07:37 GMT 2003

I'm sending you this mail from a win2000 and my server at home is running
the latest version from samba without encrypted passwords. Works like a
charm ;)

>-- Origineel Bericht --
>From: Thilo Rößler <el-nino at gmx.li>
>To: samba at lists.samba.org
>Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:00:51 +0200
>Subject: Re: [Samba] authenticate from /etc/passwd
>

>Am Donnerstag, 17. Juli 2003 12:32 schrieb kenneth.westelinck at tiscali.be:
> You'll need to set "encrypt passwords" option to "no" in the smb.conf
file
> and hack your win2k client to send passwords in plain text (Local Security
> Settings/Local Poli
>ies/Security Options/Send unencrypted password ...).

OK, didn't think of that ;-)
But I am not sure if Win2k is willing to cooperate with a server that does
NOT
offer encrypted passwords. AFAIK, WinNT does but 2k and XP only acept servers

that
>t least offer encrypted passwords.

Thilo