[Samba] Re: Use Samba as Fileserver, auth to LDAP? (No PDC stuff)

Jamrock dmc_jamrock at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 01:45:49 GMT 2003

Ryan,

Here is a basic smb.conf file.

# /etc/samba/smb.conf
# samba configuration file
# last updated: 2/28/2002 by tms

[global]

   ;basic server settings
   workgroup = name_of_workgroup
   netbios name = phoenix
   server string = Samba PDC running %v
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192

     ;security and logging settings
   security = domain
   password server = netbios_name_of_domain_controller
   encrypt passwords = yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   log level = 2
   max log size = 50
   hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0

# ==== shares ====

[homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  browseable = no
  writeable = yes

[data]
path= /home/data
public = no
writeable = yes
printable = no
create mask = 0765

Basically, you can use the PDC tutorials and leave out sections dealing
with:

PDC settings such master browser, os level etc.
Netlogon shares
Profiles
Adding machine accounts

"Hulslander, Ryan" <Ryan.Hulslander at ps.net> wrote in message
news:6979F69D7F2A6D4CB7EC71ECFC0A124AD4822E at dalexch01.rmf.ps.net...
> I see docs out there on using SAMBA as a PDC and going against LDAP for
> authentication, but I'm confused. Where pray tell can I find docs on just
> building a fileserver in Linux/SAMBA that the user authenticates against
an
> external LDAP server in order to gain access to files? No PDC, no domain
> stuff, just a plain-vanilla fileserver.
>
> The organization is using Windows for its PDC, and probably will continue
> do so for some time, so replacing it is of no importance. All I want to do
> is use *their* LDAP server to authenticate people to access SAMBA
> fileshares. Everyone uses Win2K & XP clients, and I want to go against the
> corporate LDAP box to validate when users wish to mount network drives.
I'm